Simple Maintenance Care for Garage Doors
Do you know the largest moving part in your home? It is your garage door. If you consider the number of times that your garage door is used and its size, you need to take good care of your garage door. Preventive and maintenance care go a long way in ensuring that your garage door lasts for a long time. Here are some simple tips for maintenance and preventive care;
1. Tighten the hardware – Bolts and roller brackets can loosen up due to constant movement of the garage doors in South Wales. Considering that a garage door moves more than 1,000 times every year, you need to keen a keen eye on the bolts and brackets.
2. Rollers – Garage door rollers should be replaced after every 7 years but they should be inspected two times every year. If the rollers are cracked, worn or chipped, they should be replaced immediately.
3. Pay attention to your garage door – Observe your garage door and listen carefully every time you open or close it. Does it make a scraping or grinding noise? Is the door balanced? Take note of such things.
4. Test the door’s balance – The garage door springs are responsible for the balance of garage doors in South Wales. If the door is not balanced, the opener works harder and a strained opener does not last for long. To check if the door is balanced, remove the opener then move the door halfway. If the door does not stay up, then that’s a sign that the springs are not well balanced.
5. The weather stripping – It prevents elements from entering your home but when it is damaged, it does not serve its purpose. You can buy a weather strip from home improvement stores and hardware.
6. Lubrication – Lubricating your garage door takes around ten minutes but it prolongs the life of your garage door. Coat the overhead spring with a spray lubricant and the screw or openers chain with white lithium. Lubricating moving parts reduces wear and tear.
If you want more information on how to care for your garage door or you need professional help, contact us at Access Garage Doors today.